Our commodity trading business sits at the heart of our power and gas portfolio. It optimizes and dispatches our generation assets, guides our gas business (transport, storage, and wholesale marketing), and manages risk. And it helps ensure that the supply of competitively priced energy remains secure for millions of customers across Europe.
Applying our expertise
We have detailed knowledge of the international markets in which we operate: interconnection capacities, gas flows, price differences between regions, correlation between commodities, regulatory regimes and the impact of weather and other factors on the production and consumption of energy.
Our seasoned traders use their extensive experience to design strategies to optimize the value of our assets, to hedge commodity price risks, and to ensure that our enterprise partners and customers have a reliable supply of energy.
Flexible LNG and coal supplies
In today’s increasingly interconnected markets, energy companies have to better understand and manage how global developments impact their commodity supply chains. At Uniper, we’re putting together a portfolio of flexible liquefied natural gas (LNG) and coal supplies so that we can react even more swiftly to changes in supply and demand. In recent years we’ve secured mid- and long-term LNG supplies from the Middle East, Africa, and North America. Our coal supply chain is fully integrated, encompassing long-term relationships with major producers, our fleet of large dry bulk vessels on time charter, and our ability to manage risk by trading financial coal and freight products.
Our products and services
- Power. We trade a broad range of power products across Europe and North America.
- Natural gas. We offer our customers access to European markets as well as to our assets for producing, supplying, storing, and transporting natural gas.
- LNG. We source, transport, and market Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) worldwide. Through our subsidiary LIQVIS, we also build an infrastructure for the use of LNG in heavy transport.
- Coal and freight. We optimize the entire coal supply chain to meet quality, timing, and price requirements.
- Climate solutions. We offer solutions that help to limit earnings risks caused by weather fluctuations.