LIQVIS Moves Forward with LNG Expansion as Environmentally Friendly Fuel Alternative
- Two more LNG filling stations planned in the Rhine Ruhr region in 2017
- Agreement with Iveco signed at the IAA in Hanover
The agreement signed today between Uniper subsidiary LIQVIS and truck manufacturer Iveco will help further expand infrastructure allowing LNG to be used as a truck fuel. The planning is for approximately 200 vehicles by 2020 in the Rhine Ruhr region. LIQVIS is planning - alone or with a partner - to build two LNG filling stations in this region. LIQVIS is also planning the installation of mobile filling stations at the facilities of suitable customers.
The use of LNG as a truck fuel - particularly against the background of rapidly rising transport freight volumes - offers the fastest and most efficient solution for environmentally friendly heavy freight on street transportation. Natural gas engines have far lower emissions than diesel engines. Compressed natural gas (CNG) is now commonly used for exiting natural gas mobility solutions but only offers limited range and is thus ill-suited for long haul transport.
Uniper, a global leader in the international LNG business, has access to large quantities of LNG and also has the required capacity at LNG terminals. Uniper offers LNG as a fuel under the LIQVIS brand. LIQVIS also provides tailored, individual filling opportunities.
LIQVIS has already made an important step in developing innovative, environmentally friendly alternatives for fuel sources for long-haul freight carriers and the high capacity infrastructure these sources entail:
- Together with utility vehicle manufacturer Iveco, LIQVIS opened Germany's first LNG truck filling station in Ulm in June of this year. The filling station is used in long-term trials to test innovative engine concepts for long haul freight.
- Working together with Meyer Logistik, LIQVIS built a publicly accessible LNG filling station in Berlin. The food logistics company ordered 20 LNG trucks from LIQVIS partner Iveco. The vehicles will be used for fresh food logistics and food distribution in the Berlin area. The symbolic hand over of the key took place on September 22, 2016 at the Iveco Magirus AG stand in Hall 16 / Stand A101 at the IAA truck fair.
- In June 2016, LIQVIS opened France's first LNG filling station opened in Gardanne near Marseilles and is thus making a contribution to improving European infrastructure.
LIQVIS hopes to use partnerships in Germany and selected neighboring countries to establish a proper network of LNG filling stations over the next few years. The company is thus making an important contribution to improvements in environmental friendliness and noise reduction in street traffic.
Liquefied natural gas (LNG) powered trucks are far more environmentally friendly than trucks powered by conventional fuels. They not only emit far less carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide and fine dust particles but are also much quieter than comparable diesel- powered vehicles. In addition the deep cooled, liquefied natural gas has 600 times the energy density by volume. The density makes it possible to use natural gas powered trucks for long haul freight.
This year, LIQVIS will be in Hall 12/Stand G10 at the IAA International Autombilaus- stellung in Hanover and will present the opportunities offered by liquefied natural gas (LNG) as an alternative fuel in the freight and transport industry.
This press release may contain forward-looking statements based on current assumptions and forecasts made by the Uniper SE Management and other information currently available to Uniper. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material differences between the actual future results, financial situation, development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. Uniper SE does not intend, and does not assume any liability whatsoever, to update these forward-looking statements or to adjust them to future events or developments.