What our biomass experience means for you
We understand the unique challenges of biomass generation. With decades of experience our proven solutions help you to reduce costs, improve reliability and ensure compliance.
- We share 15 years’ experience of generation from biomass and waste wood to give you valuable insights into key issues including fuel analysis, sampling and quality, and understanding the characterization of feedstocks.
- Benefit from our specialist team’s hands on experience of biomass plant issues include slagging, fouling, corrosion, biomass ash and the impact of fuel quality on performance.
- Biomass conversion projects have given us invaluable experience to support your conversion of plants to wood pellets or alternative fuels.
Power plant conversion
Biomass conversions for every kind of plant. As owner’s engineers, we modify your asset and convert from coal to biomass, reducing your costs and improving reliability. Find out what converting your partial or full asset could mean for you.
Asset Investment Projects
Full O&M Delivery
Compliance, Risk & Safety
Read our latest biomass case studies
Understanding the impact of feedstock variation
Discover how operators of biomass plants can now use our research data for optimum feedstock sourcing.
Major plant conversion provides a wealth of expertise
The experience we gained during our successful conversion of E.ON’s Ironbridge plant continues to support our clients’ key project parameters when converting to wood pellets or alternative fuels. It provides invaluable reference material for optimizing contract strategy, CAPEX, programme and environmental and unit performance.
We assessed more than 50 E.ON sites to identify the most appropriate units for conversion, based on legislation, economics, tariffs, technical suitability, cycle efficiency, delivered fuel costs, life extension and other capital costs. Our client benefited from the successful conversion for the remaining 11,000 LCPD stack hours.
- 2.2 million tonnes of wood pellets consumed
- Nearly 4 TWh of electricity and associated ROCs generated
- Approximately 100 jobs assured for 2 years
- Station decommissioning and demolition deferred for over 2 years
Full fuel analysis makes savings for a major European plant
A major Eastern European plant asked for our advice on switching fuel supply to reduce operating costs and carbon dioxide emissions. We evaluated the fuels against criteria such as fuel availability, permitting and compliance and impact on unit performance. Three technically and economically viable options were identified with good fuel availability: remaining on lignite fuel, new build gas-fired CCGT and co-firing of SRF pellets. Unit conversion to white wood pellets was technically feasible but would require support through subsidies. The plant consists of two 300 MWe lignite-fired boilers.
The specialist knowledge that underpins our wide-ranging services to biomass operators is respected internationally.
Read our latest biomass focused papers and presentations
Wood pellet conversion
Operational experiences and lessons learnt – issues addressed include fuel storage, transport and milling, combustion, performance optimization, and ash collection and disposal.
15 years of experience with biomass fuels
Key insights gained from our experience of generation from biomass and waste wood including fuel analysis, sampling and quality, and understanding the characterization of feedstocks.
Furnace tube life extension in biomass-fired boilers
Biomass-fired boilers can suffer unacceptably high fireside corrosion of the furnace wall tubes. We look at the potential for corrosion, solutions available and the results of tests on coatings.