Uniper Energy Storage has working gas capacities of 8.5 bcm in Germany, Austria and the UK.
We offer our gas storage capacities and the relevant services to all interested parties fairly and transparently and with non-discriminatory access. As the market leader in this sector, we naturally observe the European guidelines (“Guidelines for Good Practice for Storage System Operators” - GGPSSO) even though they are not legally binding.
Further information about GGPSSO
We are continually developing our products and our services in dialogue and in cooperation with our customers. Our specialists are ready at hand to help with the planning and implementation of individual gas storage solutions – both with regard to a product and a certain service. Our aim is to satisfy our customers’ requirements both comprehensively and specifically.
Gas storage facilities are basically the link between continuous gas production and seasonally fluctuating gas sales (summer/winter) and are necessary to overcome supply disruptions. The change taking place in the energy industry has now given this established technology an additional function. Today, storage capacities can be booked freely on the market so greater flexibility of injection and withdrawal rates is required. Underground gas storage facilities are also gaining in importance in the supply of flexible low carbon gas-fired power stations. They bridge the gap at short notice when renewable energy from the wind or sun is temporarily unavailable.
Uniper Energy Storage is meeting these challenges by further refining the technology and optimising storage operation, drawing on its many years of experience.
As of: 31.12.2015
From planning of plants through to storage business
In September 2012, we commissioned the ESE-Erdgasspeicher Etzel. Herewith, Uniper Energy Storage has once more demonstrated its knowledge with the planning and the construction of big gas storage plants. By building and operating our pilot plants WindGas Falkenhagen and WindGas Hamburg, in the past years we have gained significant experience not only related to the construction of such plants, but also related to the power to gas technology itself. Hereby, we have managed to build a bridge between our underground gas storage business, that we operate in Germany, Austria and UK, and the innovative power to gas technology. With acitivities like these Uniper makes a major contribution to the energy transition in Germany.
- 15.03.1971: Born in Münster (Germany)
- 1991 – 1995: Studied Industrial Engineering & Management at Helmut-Schmidt-University, Hamburg (Germany)
- 1995 – 1998: Institute of Energy Economics at Technical University, Cottbus (Germany)
Received a Doctor’s degree
- 1999 – 2000: PricewaterhouseCoopers Consulting, Hamburg (Germany)
Consultant und Principal Consultat in the German Energy Group
- 2000 – 2001: A.T. Kearny Management Consultants, Düsseldorf (Germany)
Associate in the European Energy Group
- 2002 – 2008: E.ON Ruhrgas AG, Essen (Germany)
Management positions in gas supply, LNG and business development
- 2009 – 2011: E.ON (Middle East), Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
Vice President Group Energy Projects
- 2011 – 2013: E.ON Földgaz Storage, Budapest (Hungary)
- 2011 - 2012: Member of the Board
- 2012 - 2013 Chairman and CEO
- 2013 – 2015: E.ON Climate & Renewables GmbH, Essen und Johannesburg (South Africa)
Director South Africa and CEO of E.ON Energy Southern Africa Ltd
- Since January 2016: Managing Director of Uniper Energy Storage GmbH
Why Uniper Energy Storage?
Uniper Energy Storage is an unbundled gas storage operator according to German and European regulations. We have gas storage facilities in Germany, Austria and the UK. With decades of experience we have comprehensive capabilities as gas storage operator and offer:
- Constant further development of the national and international storage business.
- A broad range of innovative products and services for the European gas storage market.
- Development of storage project (techncially and economically).
- Development and operation of underground natural gas storage facilities.
- Development of new technologies and operation of renewable energy storage plants.
In the market the value of storage is determined only on the basis of its commercial value. Depending on the market situation, natural gas storage facilities are often only filled as needed and back-up quantities kept in storage only if the price outlook is positive. We will meet the challenge to highlight the value of storage in terms of its contribution to system stability and security of supply.