A bridge to our energy future
Uniper owns and operates a diverse portfolio of power and gas assets in the United Kingdom. Our employees use their expertise and experience to deliver a range of wholesale energy products and services from power production to gas supply.
Our services are helping build a bridge to our energy future:
- Climate protection must go hand-in-hand with security of supply.
- While new technologies scale up and renewables expand, we provide the insurance policy that keeps the lights on.
- Uniper offers generation and storage facilities, providing a backbone of constant and reliable power during the energy transition.
Mike Lockett holds the dual of role of Chief Commercial Officer Power for the Uniper Group and Uniper UK Country Chairman.
Mike has worked in various engineering and commercial roles since joining the UK electricity industry in 1997. A chartered electrical engineer, he spent the first years of his career with Midlands Electricity in its networks business, and later in Central Networks after the takeover by E.ON in 2004. He moved to E.ON’s trading business in Düsseldorf in 2008, where he subsequently held a range of management roles.
Since 2017, Mike has been Chief Commercial Officer Power. In this role, he is responsible for power and fuels commodity trading and optimisation, and dispatch of Uniper’s generation portfolio.
In 2015, he became a Board Member of the newly-established Uniper UK Ltd company, helping to steer the legal entity through the separation from E.ON UK, and supporting the establishment of the UK business. He was appointed Uniper UK Country Chairman in January 2019.
Mike is a member of the Supervisory Board of the European Energy Exchange (Leipzig), and the Management Board of Powernext (Paris).
A broad portfolio of assets for a secure energy supply
Our generation fleet, which encompasses a range of energy sources like gas and coal, makes a tangible contribution to Britain’s supply security. We own and operate power stations at Connah's Quay, Cottam Development Centre, Enfield, Grain, Killingholme, Ratcliffe-on-Soar, and Taylor's Lane. Find more information about our plant portfolio here.
Uniper is a strong supporter of the transition to a low carbon energy world – and we believe that gas continues to have an important part to play. As part of this commitment, we want to make sure our power plants, like the one at Enfield, can operate more efficiently and flexibly, helping to deliver power when and where it’s needed - cost-effectively complementing renewables. Hear more about our investment plans at Enfield here.
Through our trading activities we make our power production available to the market and provide balancing services to the UK system operator. We also buy and sell natural gas, which is brought to the United Kingdom via pipelines or LNG terminals. We own a stake in BBL, a 235-kilometer gas pipeline between Balgzand in the Netherlands and Bacton in the UK. We also own significant long-term regasification capacity at the Grain LNG terminal in Kent.
In addition, we own and operate a gas storage facility in Holford in Cheshire and two high-pressure gas pipelines, from Theddlethorpe to Killingholme and from Blyborough to Cottam, in Northeast England.
The Uniper Engineering Academy offers purpose-built facilities delivering bespoke training programmes - from gas turbine maintenance to smart meter installation - to match energy business needs anywhere in the world. 600 courses were delivered in 2016 to 4,000 delegates, and this year, the Academy won accreditation as an approved provider under the UK Government’s new apprenticeship levy programme.
- New head of Uniper's Engineering Academy 197.54 KB
- One stop shop for power plant data puts flexibility to the fore 205.77 KB
- Uniper plays host to HM Ambassador to Chile 202 KB
- Mike Lockett appointed country chairman of Uniper in the UK 201.24 KB
- MBE award for Engineering Academy Head 173.45 KB
- Uniper secures place in 2018 National Apprenticeship Awards finals 205.28 KB
- Increase in lorry traffic for six-eight weeks, says Uniper 90.63 KB
- Buyer found for former Ironbridge power station site 205.05 KB
- Uniper signs up to Women's Engineering Society 197.11 KB
- Farewell to familiar Kent landmark as Uniper demolishes power station chimney 202.56 KB
- Farewell to familiar Kent landmark as Uniper confirms power station chimney demolition date 200.71 KB
- Uniper wind turbine inspection technique wins international offshore wind innovation prize 352.37 KB
- Plans underway for conveyor demolition at Ironbridge power station 111.13 KB
- Two more boilers due for demolition at Kingsnorth power station 98.21 KB
- Uniper Engineering Academy wins government apprentice training accreditation 379.06 KB
- Ironbridge power station goes to the dogs! 92.91 KB
- Next phase of demolition at Kingsnorth power station 97.72 KB
- Rushcliffe students discover the world of apprenticeships – thanks to Uniper 372.95 KB
- New chapter on the cards for former power station site at Ironbridge 95.54 KB
- Boilers next in line for demolition at Kingsnorth power station 82.53 KB
- BEIS: Capacity Market and Emissions Performance Standard five-year year review call for evidence 246.17 KB
- Welsh Government: Achieving our low carbon pathway to 2030 298.72 KB
- Draft Clean Air Strategy 141.32 KB
- Labour NPF Energy & Environment Policy 111.27 KB
- Improving air quality: reducing nitrogen dioxide in our towns and cities 195.82 KB
- BEIS: Building our Industrial Strategy Green Paper 161.68 KB
- Coal generation in Great Britain. The pathway to a low-carbon future: consultation document 552.34 KB
- Consultation on reducing emissions from Medium Combustion Plants and Generators to improve air quality 202.08 KB
- Joint BEIS Ofgem: A Smart, Flexible Energy System – A call for evidence 302.21 KB
- Clean Growth Strategy 113.54 KB
- NIC report: Congestion, Capacity, Carbon: Priorities for national infrastructure - Consultation on a NIA 197.28 KB
- Call for Evidence: Cost of Energy Review. A Call for Evidence following the Helm Review 149.2 KB
- Third Party Access: Gas processing facilities at Connah’s Quay and the Dee pipeline 191.11 KB
- Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking Statement 2019 282.85 KB
- Uniper UK Tax Strategy 18.08 KB
- Uniper UK Gender Pay Gap Report 2018 149.81 KB
- Uniper UK Gender Pay Gap Report 2017 152.88 KB
- ISO14001 certificates for UK CCGT and Steam 320.4 KB