Two energy worlds
The energy landscape has shifted. Changing customer behavior, new technology, and increasingly global markets are creating two distinct energy worlds. The classic energy world has the indispensable task of ensuring supply security. Alongside it is emerging the new world of distributed energy solutions.
Uniper’s portfolio combines large-scale power generation and the effective management of global and regional energy supply chains.
E.ON, our former parent company, will focus on the new energy world with renewables, distribution networks, and customer solutions.
Both worlds require distinctive business models and capabilities.
Both worlds present challenges and opportunities.
Both worlds are needed to meet the world’s energy needs in the decades ahead.
What motivates me, is the possibility to create something new, something really unique.
A strong energy company
Uniper has the right assets, knowledge, and skills to succeed in the classic energy world.
We have a deep understanding of global and regional energy markets, regulatory regimes, and market designs. We have a wide range of capabilities in the construction, management, and operation of large-scale energy assets as well as the optimization and risk management of assets and contracts. And we have long-standing relationships with industrial customers, municipal utilities, system operators, and our suppliers. These strengths and networks reinforce one another.
There are three main areas in which we deploy our strengths:
- We help ensure security of supply in Europe as it transitions to a low-carbon future. The growth of intermittent renewable generation increases the need for flexible power plants that can meet fluctuating demand at short notice; our generation portfolio is well suited to this task. In addition, our midstream gas business helps ensure supply security through a diverse portfolio of long-term gas contracts along with gas storage, transport, and regasification capacity.
- Our trading activities connect global commodity markets. Global trading in commodities like natural gas and coal is bringing energy markets from America to Asia closer together. As markets become more interconnected and dynamic, they create more opportunities for companies that can build bridges between regional markets, respond swiftly to changes in supply and demand, and use their knowledge of supply chains to better manage commodity risk. Uniper has a flexible portfolio of long-term gas import contracts, coal, and LNG. This portfolio not only enables us to meet our own fuel needs but also to provide our customers with bespoke products and services.
- We support the development of power markets outside Europe with our own generation activities and our services for third parties. Uniper has a significant platform of technologically advanced generation assets across Europe and in Russia. As the demand for dispatchable generation capacities is growing in a number of markets, we’re well positioned to market our capabilities in building and operating assets and in supplying fuel to third parties.
From gas fields and power stations to customers
Uniper helps keep energy reliable
We offer a broad range of energy products, services, and solutions. Our business portfolio encompasses most of the stages of the energy value chain. We have a stake in a gas production business in Russia and procure climate-friendly natural gas under long-term supply contracts and at trading venues. With LNG becoming a more prevalent source of gas, we’re active in sourcing, transport, and regasification. In addition, our hydro, coal and gas power stations play an important role on the upstream end of the electricity value chain.
Transport and storage for security and flexibility
System operators are responsible for transporting power and gas. Our natural gas storage facilities provide transmission system operators with the flexibility they need to ensure a reliable supply of gas to end-customers.
At the heart of global energy markets
Energy and commodity trading is at the heart of the global energy business. It ensures that power and gas make their way from wholesale markets to end-customers in different segments. Uniper is a key player at this important stage of the value chain as well. Our trading business is active on markets worldwide to procure the fuels (coal and natural gas) we need for our power stations and to acquire carbon allowances to cover our emissions.
Broad product range for our customers
The energy value chain is geared towards providing consumers with the energy products and services they need. Here, Uniper is active in a number of European countries, primarily in supplying energy to large industrial, commercial, and municipal customers.
Secure energy supply, globally and regionally
In sum, we’re active at all key stages of the energy business (with the exception of power and gas transmission and distribution). Services play an important role at each of these stages. Large assets like power stations and gas production facilities need to be maintained and upgraded. Owners who build new assets often draw on the expertise of operators. And customers increasingly expect holistic energy solutions that may include embedded cogeneration capacity at their own facilities. We can meet these needs with our broad range of services based on our comprehensive knowledge of, and experience in, the energy business.
A passion for energy
Our people are our most important asset. That’s why we strive to provide them with a supportive, collaborative, and entrepreneurial working environment that enables them to use their own initiative and to make the most of their capabilities.
We’re well positioned to play a key role in ensuring supply security. We have:
- a broad geographic footprint with positions in Europe’s main generation markets and in Russia
- comprehensive capabilities in the operation and management of individual generation assets and optimization of generation fleets
- profound technical knowledge gained in the development and use of energy technologies
- the market access of a proven trading and optimization platform at Europe’s key trading points and on global markets along with a significant position in the midstream gas business
- a detailed picture of the interrelationships between market participants, technologies, and energy systems
- deep expertise in regulatory regimes and market designs